Hunspell is the spell checker of LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Firefox 3 & Thunderbird, Google Chrome, and it is also used by proprietary software packages, like macOS, InDesign, memoQ, Opera and SDL Trados.
- Extended support for language peculiarities; Unicode character encoding, compounding and complex morphology.
- Improved suggestion using n-gram similarity, rule and dictionary based pronunciation data.
- Morphological analysis, stemming and generation.
- Hunspell is based on MySpell and works also with MySpell dictionaries.
- C++ library under GPL/LGPL/MPL tri-license.
- Interfaces and ports: AndroidHunspellService (for Android, based on the Chromium fork of Hunspell), Enchant (Generic spelling library from the Abiword project), XSpell (macOS port, but Hunspell is part of the macOS from version 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and now it is enough to place the Hunspell dictionary files into ~/Library/Spelling or /Library/Spelling for spell checking), Delphi, Java (JNA, JNI), Perl, .NET, Python, Ruby (1, 2, 3), UNO, RichEdit.
Primary project sponsor: FSF.hu Foundation
Primary sponsor in 2008: IMEDIA Media Monitoring
Primary sponsor of the Hunspell development in 2003–2005: Budapest Technical University Media Research Centre (BME MOKK)