Hunspell is the spell checker of LibreOffice, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla Firefox 3 & Thunderbird, Google Chrome, and it is also used by proprietary software packages, like Mac OS X, InDesign, memoQ, Opera and SDL Trados.
- Extended support for language peculiarities; Unicode character encoding, compounding and complex morphology.
- Improved suggestion using n-gram similarity, rule and dictionary based pronunciation data.
- Morphological analysis, stemming and generation.
- Hunspell is based on MySpell and works also with MySpell dictionaries.
- C++ library under GPL/LGPL/MPL tri-license.
- Interfaces and ports: AndroidHunspellService (for Android, based on the Chromium fork of Hunspell), Enchant (Generic spelling library from the Abiword project), XSpell (Mac OS X port, but Hunspell is part of the OS X from version 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and now it is enough to place the Hunspell dictionary files into ~/Library/Spelling or /Library/Spelling for spell checking), Delphi, Java (JNA, JNI), Perl, .NET, Python, Ruby (1, 2, 3), UNO, RichEdit.
Primary project sponsor: FSF.hu Foundation
Primary sponsor in 2008: IMEDIA Media Monitoring
Primary sponsor of the Hunspell development in 2003–2005: Budapest Technical University Media Research Centre (BME MOKK)